Puerto Rico Travel Regulations
- Because Puerto Rico is a territory of the USA, requirements are the same as entering the mainland. US citizens and permanent residents do not need a passport to enter. You can use an eligible government ID such as a driver’s license.
- If you are NOT a US citizen, permanent resident or visa-holder, please be sure to check US visa and entry requirements immediately so you are aware of processing times.
- If you are NOT a US citizen, permanent resident or visa-holder, you will need to provide proof of vaccination.
- You will NOT need to present a negative COVID-19 test upon entry. If you will need a negative test to return to your home country, please let conference organizers know in advance.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors, SAIL offers travel support and/or free registration to eligible attendees to help offset the cost of travel. Trainees are eligible for a $200 discount off the registration fee. Please use our Contact form to request the promo code.
We strongly encourage you to apply to any other sources of funding you may have available to you. Travel support will be issued after the symposium in the form of a reimbursement. In order for expenses to be eligible, they must comply with the following policies, and you will need to provide original, itemized receipts.
Travel Support Policies
Only the lowest-priced economy class airfare is eligible. Very important: If you are extending your business trip into a vacation, you must also include a comparison flight in your report that shows the price of a ticket as if you were only going to the conference on or before the same date that you purchased your ticket. Only the amount of the non-vacation flight will be eligible.
Before leaving your hotel, request a hotel folio with a zero balance, showing the payment method used! All expenses incurred while at the hotel must be itemized on the folio. Room service/meals, in-room movies, extra beds for a family member traveling with you and other such personal items are NOT eligible. Your room must be a standard, single-occupancy room where available. The discounted hotel room rate during the symposium is $289 per night, plus tax and $40 daily resort fee.
You can use shuttles/taxis to from airports/hotels as needed. Ground transportation to/from the San Juan airport to the Hyatt by Uber is approximately $35 each way. Please be sure you bring back/scan your receipts.
We will not reimburse meals or provide per diems. All meals are provided during the days of the symposium.
If you are a student, travel support must comply with any applicable student visa restrictions. Payments will only be issued directly to the name of the attending participant and will not be issued to third-party institutions/organizations.
Apply for Travel Support
Applications for travel support are accepted each year in January, coinciding with the call for abstracts.
Planning Your Stay
The SAIL Experience
- Please plan to take a taxi or Uber to/from the airport to the hotel.
- Dress code is “island casual.” Think jeans or shorts with a shirt, blazer/tie optional. We want everyone to be relaxed and comfortable. The weather is typically in the low 80s and humid at this time of year.
- Hotel amenities and discounts for SAIL guests include:
- 2 welcome drinks
- 2 bottles of water daily
- 20% discount on greens fees (book in advance, 2 PGA courses)
- 20% discount on spa services (book in advance)
- Use of tennis and pickleball courts
- Unlimited toll-free and local calls
- Complimentary Wifi in designated areas
- Trolley transportation around hotel grounds
- Reservations guaranteed for late arrival
- If you have any guest(s) accompanying you and they would like to join the evening events and dinners, they will need to register in advance.
- Nanny On Call PR is the third-party childcare service recommended by the hotel.
To plan other aspects of your trip to Puerto Rico, or if you will be extending your stay to visit the island, Discover Puerto Rico is a helpful website. In addition to the onsite amenities listed above, after the program concludes you will have opportunities for sailing, bioluminescent bay tours, horseback riding, and other activities.
Catamaran Sailing from Fajardo Marina
- East Island Excursions ¡Welcome to Paradise! – Puerto Rico – Offering catamarans to Icacos, Culebra, San Juan Mini Boats, and Old San Juan Harbor Tours
- Castillo Tours | Adventure Tours in San Juan, Puerto Rico – Castillo Tours offers adventure tours in San Juan, Puerto Rico, including rainforest, city, boat, and fishing experiences.
- Sail Puerto Rico – Let us show you the beauty of Puerto Rico waters.
- Atabey Tours | Puerto Rico Rainforest Tours – We’re simply world travelers like you looking to show you how we have fun the local way here in our island of Enchantment, Puerto Rico.
Bioluminescent Bay Night Tours
- Kayaking Puerto Rico Tours | Kayaking in Enchanted Aquatic Reserves
- Puerto Rico Bio Bay Tours | Fajardo Bioluminescent Bay Kayak Tours
- Eco Adventures | Bio Bay Kayak Tours – Fajardo, Puerto Rico
- Carabalí Rainforest Adventure Park Located in Rio Grande, just minutes from the Hyatt Regency. They offer horseback riding through the beach or the foothills of El Yunque, ATV rides through their ranch, Go-Carts, and a great restaurant with local cuisine.